Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sewing Room Quandary....

So, here is my quandary. I have a perfectly good craft/sewing room in my basement with lots of space and light but I have found I don't spend much time down there because, quite frankly, it's a little lonely. In our house, we have this weird little room by the front door. It's too small for a living room and does not have a fourth wall so it can't be a bedroom. In Utah, we would refer to it as the "Home Teaching Room". Since we bought this house five years ago I have not figured out a good use for it and I HATE wasted space.

I found this enourmous table at the thrift store a few days ago and envisioned it as the perfect sewing table. That got the wheels in my little head turning... What if I turned that small front room into my sewing room? I'm struggling with the visual aspect of this project. Is there a way to make a pretty sewing room? A room that will be presentable to visitors as they enter my home? HELP!

I look forward to your feedback.


Love, Kelly

4 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    You had me at "is there a way...?". This is right up my space-ial adaptability architectural/interiors alley! For example, my living room/front room (the biggest room in the house) is my work studio. I do have the option of functional pocket doors to close off the view completely when needed. But when I leave them partially open, the peak-a-boo view you see of the room is very pleasant and the work-in-progress mess is out of view. I love having it right where it is. I know there are tons of images of sewing/work rooms that are pretty cool, that you can glean through on Flickr. Save the ones for inspiration that tickle your fancy. Oh this sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh..., so my answer to the questions:
    Is there a way to make a pretty sewing room? A room that will be presentable to visitors as they enter my home?
    A very BIG "YES" and "YES"! Do it, baby. You'll love it!
    Sparky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would take the space. It would make you happy. You can still keep the supplies down stairs, the bulk at least. I would invest in some dividers, or maybe make some yourself out of three doors hinged together. that way you could block off the sewing room in a pretty way from the entrance door. Just a quick idea. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no, NO! You have a wonderful entryway. I have entered there many times. If you need a sewing space that is closer to the rest of the house use my old bedroom, you know the one that Poopsie tore out the wall and made part of the living room. You can sew and watchyer TV at the same-self moment. You will be just as isolated in that front room as you would be downstairs, except that you risk the possibility of being interrupted by a well-wishing visitor... AND YOU CAN'T HIDE!

    My advice, make that room comfy, cozy, put the fake fireplace Mike sold you, put out a dish a kinny fer yer guests. No sewing room there. Mark my words!

    ReplyDelete