Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Boutique Booty


Here in Utah, we are blessed to have the Deseret Industries thrift store. They are always well stocked with reasonably-priced merchandise, impeccably clean and there's practically one on every corner. We affectionately refer to the DI as "The Boutique". Last night, since my husband was working late, I thought I'd make a quick after-work DI run. It's usually slim pickens in the early evening hours because the pickers have spent the day looting and pillaging the aisles. Last night, I hit the jackpot. Feast your eyes on the treasures I scored. The ultimate was this old boardgame, "Head of the Class" for only $2.00!
When I was a kid, we did not have this game. I imagine if we did, my childhood would have been a happy one. Sigh.















































I'm conflicted about wether or not I should sell the game in my shop.
Maybe I should keep the game and use it to lure my adult children over to the house some evening for a rousing game of "Head of the Class" with their aging parents. It just might be the ticket that brings us closer as a family unit. Then again, maybe not. I was brainwashed as a child, by all of those advertisements on TV of the happy, boisterous families gathered around the board game. My childhood memories of family game night consisted of my father always "cleaning our clocks" at Monopoly. There was a certain schadenfreud in his gleeful gloating. Just another family night of psyco-drama. I can still hear the screams of the children when I close my eyes. I think I need more therapy. On second thought, I'll just sell the bloody game at the shop.
Love, Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment