Saturday, December 12, 2009

Button Jewelry

Last weekend at an estate sale, my friend John from A1 Estate Services
mentioned that his mother makes jewelry from vintage buttons and wondered if I'd like to sell them in my shop.





Here are some examples of Angie's button jewelry. I especially like the ones made with the old Bakelite buttons. She has even incorporated some Bakelite buckles into the broaches. Introduced in 1909, Bakelite was considered the first real plastic.


Apparently, Angie is quite the collector and John learned all he knows about antiques from her. As a tot he would accompany her on her antiquing forays.


























The pendants sell for $28, the broaches are $20, the bracelets are $24 and $26 and the flower bunches are $14. Be sure to stop by and check out this unique and whimsical collection of jewelry.
Love, Kelly







3 comments:

  1. Hello Kelly, those are all so beautiful! I can't wait to see them when I come out to shop next (when the weather warms up a little and it doesn't snow!)...I love the old Bakelite jewelry... I inherited my mom's old pieces and I treasure them... Love to you... Bisous... Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly - I was telling a friend about these earlier today. A picture is worth a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I love buttons! People may not believe me, but I really do love buttons. Buttons such as these truly cause a greater and more glorious love to burst from my heart for buttons. The bakelite, the shapes, the feel and heft, the colors...

    Yet such buttons also create a melancholy within my bosom -- yes a melancholy. For you see, these buttons were removed from a lovely vintage fur coat, a boiled wool sweater, possibly from a dainty antique blouse, or from a pair of button up leather boots worn long ago on two tiny feet. I can only imagine the lovely clothing onto which these buttons were sewn. And now, these buttons and their clothing friends are separated forever.

    Let me be clear, however. I do not begrudge your John friend's mother for using these buttons and creating marvelous works of art with them. We all know that there is a season for every thing, and perhaps the cloth from which these buttons gained their life and initial splendor, had met the ultimate time to simply be rent and torn asunder, tossed away with the other moth-eaten wools, cracked leathers, ripped coats, and stained blouses... So bravo to John's mother for reusing such unique and lovely buttons and for offering them to consumers with an eye for style and artistry!

    ReplyDelete