Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's a Brand New Year!


This time of year is a hectic one for shop keepers. Trying to just recover from the exhaustion of the holiday season while gearing up for the new year is no small task, indeed. The year 2009 was a challenging one for retailers everywhere. The sluggish economy was a big concern for everyone. Here in my little neighborhood of SugarHouse we had the added stress of road construction on 9th East all year. I feel lucky just to have survived. So, it's a brand new year and time for a fresh start! The exciting (scary) thing about having your own business is the GREAT UNKOWN.
As I've searched for merchandise for the shop this year I've tried to keep practicality a priority. At times I've passed on unusual items because I fear they won't move. I also fear just the simple act of buying new merchandise because I want to make sure I have the cash flow to pay the rent! You'd think after 4 years of having this shop I could relax a little and let go!
Anyhow...enough of my neurosis! I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of our wonderful customers who over the years have been so loyal and quite frankly, just delightful to work with. And for all of our bloggy friends out there, thank-you for your thoughtful and supportive comments.

3 comments:

  1. Your soooo welcome we love you and all your finds!! be peaceful...Annie in brigham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your little shop Kelly! Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly - love your shop! I plan my appts. to get my hair done with enough time to stop by and see all the fun treasures you have brought in since I last came in.
    You have such an eye for displaying and making everything easy to find. You are also the best in town on your prices! Stop worrying so much and keep doing what you do best, and the rest will fall into place! I have a sign that says, "Worrying is like rocking in a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere"
    Renee

    ReplyDelete